If you are planning to change your property and it does not fall under Permitted Development, then you will require Planning Permission from your Local Authority

Planning Permission Applications, take approximately 8 weeks, this can vary depending on the complexity and influences on the scheme

Pre-application advice

Pre-application advice, is a submission to the local planning department, which allow them to comment on your scheme, You can then make any necessary adjustments to help gain planning permission when the scheme is finally submitted

This process can take between 6 and 8 weeks

Listed Building 

Should you be lucky enough to own a Listed building, you will require listed building approval to do any alterations

A Historical statement with a Design and Access statement as well as detailed drawings showing the affects your proposal will have on the listed nature of the property is a requirement of the Submission

Conservation Area 

Further restrictions are imposed on your property, should your property be within a Conservation area

It is necessary to show that you have addressed this, by means of a Design and Access Statement, and show how the design fits in with the surroundings 

Calthorpe Estate consent

Let us help you gain Calthorpe Estate consent for your alterations to your home.

If you live in the Calthorpe Estate in Birmingham, you will know that you are required to make a Calthorpe Estate application to complete any alterations to you home and the curettage.

Working within the Edgbaston Area for a number of years, we have negotiated many Calthorpe Estate consents for Alterations and Extensions within the catchment area.

Even alterations that are allowed under permitted development require Calthorpe Consent, and this should be gained before you start the construction work.  Alterations to windows, doors additions of gates and boundary walls will also require permission.

allow us to complete the application for you


The riba work stages, outlines the process of the building sequence from initial analysis, through design, construction and evaluation of your final project If your a homeowner you will want the services A to F to begin with, and you may choose to go further depending on how involved with the build you wish to get.



Planning Application Drawings 

Basic drawings for planning approval

Building Regulation Drawings

Specific drawings, which address issues such as health and safety and disability access

Working Drawings

Used on site to construct the house

Tender Package

Sent to builders to price the proposed development

Contract Administrator

What an architect becomes when they impartially manage the client-builder relationship


Computer aided design used for elevations and plans as well as 3D models

Architectural Technologist

A designer who is not an architect

Professional Indemnity Insurance

All architects are required by ARB to carry this to put right any serious errors

Party wall Act

Provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings.